Thursday, October 25, 2007
book designs by willy fleckhaus
So, I made one book for my job interviews, now I’d like to make another book… perhaps a children's book? book of poems? or a graphic novella!
Procedure (courtesy of Bruce Mau):
1. Establish form and content.
2. Collect materials (photograph, record, download, ask questions…)
3. Start with the spread (define the page dimensions, the number of pages is unlimited.)
4. Insert the grid (at its largest, follow the golden canon of Jan Tschichold, drawn in 1953: the inner margin is one-ninth the page width; the outer margin is two-ninth the page width; the top margin is one-ninth the page height; and the bottom margin is two-ninths the page height.
5. Select the images
6. Apply the appropriate templates and masks (templates define the position of content, masks control the degree of expression…)
7. Specify typography
8. Create a feedback loop (ask friends, collaborators, peers, and persons off the street, find conflict, amplify content.)